What is Black Mold?
Every homeowner worries about black mold, but do you know what it is? Black mold (also known as Stachybotrys) likes to grow in damp places and is most commonly seen around condensation or pools or standing water inside. These spores enter the house via windows, other openings and can also be brought in on personal items and clothing. Although most fungus around your house are harmless, black mold can cause illness if left untreated.
Black Mold Poisoning
Black mold is a poisonous fungus with airborne toxins. Typically symptoms include chronic coughing, irritation to the eyes, mucus membranes of the nose and throat as well as skin rashes. Additionally, chronic fatigue and persistent headaches can all be symptomatic of black mold exposure or black mold poisoning. Nausea, vomiting and bleeding in the lungs and nose are seen in the most severe cases of long term exposure.
More about Mold
Black mold grows quickly, so you should never delay calling a professional to inspect for mold infestation. They can go unseen for weeks, and then spring up practically overnight.
Once mold forms colonies in your living space, it quickly grows and releases toxins that make life unpleasant for inhabitants:
- Mold releases a pungent, musty smell that prevents rooms from smelling fresh.
- Mold wreaks havoc on allergy-sensitive people, as well as those with asthma, making symptoms flare up.
- Mold can cause coughing, wheezing, chest tightness, and trouble breathing.
- Mold toxins can cause chronic inflammation and constant cold-like symptoms.
- Individuals with compromised immune systems can get systemic infections of the lungs, skin, or digestive tract.
- In rare cases, mold toxins can cause neurological problems or even death.
- The more lengthy the exposure, the greater the danger.
Unusually damp homes and offices can be subject to mold invasions even if no water damage has happened. If you see or smell something that could be mold, get an expert opinion immediately.
If you want to eradicate mold, the environment where it prospers must first be removed. Water sources have to be dealt with, and any remaining moisture must be carefully dried out. Only then can mold elimination and remediation start.
Whether a leaky roof, burst pipe, or other opening, it isn’t enough to stem the tide. Moisture can soak hidden areas of your home. Without proper cleanup processes, mold will keep returning to these spots.
Call Paul Davis now if your home has black mold. We safely inspect and confirm the presence of black mold before remediation. Depend on our specialists to eliminate black mold quickly. Keep your family safe, get an inspection for black mold now.